Marc Jacobs - Shameless Foundation Review

by - May 23, 2018


Marc Jacobs has released a new foundation this year which claims to be a medium, buildable foundation with 24-hour wear and flashback-free SPF 25 for a youthful look. They have a colour selection of 29 shades ranging from light to dark. To find your specific skin tone, they start with either Y (yellow/warm based) or R (red/cool based).



I have actually purchased this foundation back in March and have had a good test run with it. The product comes in a a squeezy tube. I find with these you need to be a bit careful when dispersing products or you can go overboard. Often I like to start small then build my way up with foundation coverage.


The foundation also has an expiration date which allows you to keep track of how fresh it is. Compared to the standard 30mL, it comes with an extra 2mL. I would say that it will give you around a few weeks worth of use use. Was quite surprised in terms of the expiration date because most companies just give a generalised month on how long the product is fresh for. 


Shade

The shade that I purchased was Y210 which is described as a light with yellow undertones. It is a tad lighter than a MAC Studio Fix foundation in NC20. Overall its workable for me. I have done a comparison of shade swatches against other foundations. One is in natural light and the other one in direct sunlight. I was very close to choosing Y270 but it was just a tad darker. Both are workable. The shade Y270 would be very close to NARS Sheer Glow in Fiji.



Shade comparison between Y210, Y320 and Y420

Cost

The product retails for $46.00 USD and $70.00 AUD. If I had to convert it would be around $2.19 per 1mL of product. Product was purchased from Sephora Australia

Texture


The texture is quite powdery for a liquid foundation but does apply on smoothly. It blends very well into the skin without it feeling heavy. 

Application

Foundation was best applied with fingers or brush.

Wear Time

I've worn this whilst exercising and my face still looked like skin. Based on experience it works well on its own but would not last as long as with a primer. 

Without Primer - 4 hours 
With Primer - 6 to 7 hours

The primer I tried with this would be the Hourglass Veil Mineral SPF 15. This held it up quite well and my foundation still looked like skin. 


Coverage

Coverage was more light but buildable to a medium. Definitely not a full coverage foundation. 

Made in

Foundation was made in the USA.

Recommendation

This foundation is more for an everyday wear. I can confirm it even out my skin tone making it look like my skin but better. I had no issues with blending and the oil control is quite good. I usually get oily around my nose but this held up for 4 hours without my nose shining. This is where I did not use a primer. I did not find that it sat on my pores. Even though it said it is self setting, I would still recommend setting the foundation with a powder if you are more on the oilier side. I did not feel the foundation was heavy or dry on my skin. I exercised with this foundation (very sweaty) and it still held up very well. The packaging is plastic, so people who are prone to dropping things you do not need to worry about breaking this foundation. Unless you have it opened and stepped on it. That would be a different story. Overall, it has become one of my favourite foundation to use on a daily basis. 

Improvements

Honestly the one thing which I was iffy about was the claims "a first-to-market SPF technology that creates no flashback in photos and no ashy, grey undertones in the formula." Ok, so the flashback wasn't as bad as other foundation aka Estee Lauder Double Wear. It was still a bit lighter than usual with flash. 





You May Also Like

2 comments

  1. hi if i am nc25 would u recommend y210 or y270? is y270 orangey? thank you!

    ReplyDelete